The Wonders of Wonderland

Disclaimer: This post is from the archives, and may not represent the current views of the author. It also may not be at all interesting to read. Continue at your own peril!

Yesterday was awesome. I must say that Wonderland is absolutely the best place ever within about a two hour drive of here. I mean, certainly there are better amusement parks out there, but it definitely is better than anything else around here. And we, as the Axis Youth, went there. To evangelize, of course. Well…not really.

At a bright and early 9:00 AM, we met at the church. There were ten of us going in total – I had expected there to be a lot more, but oh well – and when we had all arrived, we then left in Pastor Skipp’s car and Caitlin’s van. I was in Skipp’s car, and the first thing that he mentioned when climbing into the car was that there was no air conditioning. Great. It was just one of those older-model Honda Civic hatchbacks, so it’s kind of a cheap-o car, but to not have air conditioning was just strange. Nevertheless, the windows were rolled down, and I think we managed to keep it cool enough in there. Skipp has a very strange selection of music – everything from British rap (The Streets) to punk rock (MxPx) to psychadelic, spaced-out music (I don’t know how else to describe it, but stuff like Earthsuit and Mutemath). Strange stuff. Anyways, we arrived at Wonderland at about 11:00 AM, and the day began.

I won’t get into all the details, but let me kind of explain how the day went. For starters, the weather was pretty fickle. It started off hot and sunny, but quickly cooled down and clouded over. In the afternoon, it started to rain in about five-minute spurts, with some thunder and lightning mixed in there every once in a while. Because of that, the rides kept getting shut down and then opened again. After all, they can’t really run a rollercoaster in a thunderstorm – it’s kind of dangerous. However, it made things interesting, never knowing whether a ride would be open or closed. Also, because of the strange weather, plenty of people decided to leave. It wasn’t that packed to begin with, but the population dwindled even further, which just made things perfect. I don’t think the weather could have been any better, really. It wasn’t overly hot, nor was there much blinding sunlight. The lineups were short, because plenty of poeple had left, so wait times were minimal. And for the times when the rides were shut down, there were always indoor attractions. But I’ll get to that in a second.

To start the day off, our group of six went on the Bat. It’s pretty much the sweetest roller coaster ever – not my favourite, but definitely the most original track design ever. It starts by pulling the cars backward up a big hill. Once it reaches the top, it lets you go and shoots you through a corkscrew and a loop, then up a hill again. A chain latches onto you and pulls you further up the hill, then releases you again to go through the same track – backwards. It’s really an awesome ride, especially since you never know when you’ll get released. After that, it was time for the fastest roller coaster, the Vortex. That one is my favourite, since when you sit in the front, the wind rushing past you is crazy. I remember some times when I’ve had tears in my eyes afterward just from the wind. But anyways, to summarize, the majority of the morning was spent on the roller coasters and such. We had some lunch, watched some of the other attractions, like the high divers and such, and then went and watched a movie thing with all the Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters in it. It was cool I guess, since the seats moved and stuff, but not the most exciting.

During the afternoon, things got a little less exciting. By this time, it was raining on and off, and so we tried to do a few indoor things. We watched a performance based on the movie School of Rock, and sort of wandered around trying to find things that were still open. Skipp and Rich had the great idea to go to the Kiddyland stuff, and we did boring stuff such as the Ghoster Coaster and a really, really, really slow train ride thing. Mostly, I think they just wanted pictures of us on the train and stuff, but it was boring. They were having the time of their lives. I wasn’t. They then wanted to go to Scooby-Doo’s Haunted Mansion – another kiddy ride – but Jordan and I decided that enough was enough, and left to find something else to do while they waited in line for something not worth the wait. We went on Shockwave instead, which is an awesome ride. We got on the last one before it shut down again due to the weather, which was pretty cool. After that, we met back up with the others again, and went to go see the Spongebob Squarepants 3-D Adventure thing, another one of the movies with the moving seats. For this one, though, we got 3-D glasses, so that made it pretty cool. Stuff was popping out of the screen and everything, so it just made it a whole lot better.

After the movie, we wandered around a bit more, and went on a few more rides – better ones, this time – since things were now, once again, open. When we got over to the Psyclone, though, we ended up not being able to get on. They closed right before we got onto it, which was disappointing. Caitlin had been wanting to go on that all day, and I had been as well, since it’s one of my favourite non-roller coaster rides. The thing is basically a huge pendulum. You sit on the outside of a big circular thing, facing outward, and then the circle thing is attached to a big pole that can swing back and forth. They lower the floor, and then you start swinging back and forth, kind of like a pirate ship sort of ride, only you’re spinning as well. The thing is massive, though, so you get going really fast. It never goes upside down, which is a shame, but you get close. So anyway, after continuing to wait in that line for about ten minutes hoping that it would reopen soon, we finally gave up and resorted to going on the nearby merry-go-round – pretty much the only thing left open, since I think lightning bolts are preferential to the tall rides. I don’t think they enjoy killing little kids on fake horses. After that, everyone was pretty much ready to go home. It had been about ten or eleven hours at Wonderland, and the rain was starting to get to us. So we left, and headed over to a McDonald’s for some supper – at about 11:30 PM. We arrived back at the church somewhere around midnight, and then I dropped Jordan off at home and headed home myself. Let me tell you, though – never eat McDonald’s that late at night. It gives you weird dreams. I don’t remember exactly what mine were about, but they were strange, let me tell you.

Anyways, with that said, the day was pretty cool overall. I’m glad I got to go, because, well, it’s Wonderland. Who doesn’t want to go to Wonderland? I was pretty tired today, though. I slept until about 9:30 AM, and then couldn’t sleep anymore, so I just got up. I then headed off to work for 11:30 AM and worked until 4:30 PM. I have to go back in again tonight for my usual marquee shift, although they decided for no apparent reason to change it from the normal 8:30-11:30 to 7:00-11:00 instead. Why? Who knows? Last time, I had to work from 8:00-11:00. Maybe they’re just getting bored of always doing it at 8:30-11:30, although that’s the time that works best anyways. Oh well. I just get paid to do my job, not to think about how everyone else is screwing up their jobs. Even if what they do makes no sense. Oh boy, what a way to start summer. I worked Tuesday, had Wonderland yesterday, and worked today, and I work tomorrow and Saturday as well. Then I think I work Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, as well. I’m going to be so tired. But hey – at least I’m getting plenty of hours. Who ever said the summer was supposed to be relaxing? Actually, I’m sure I’ve said that plenty of times. I guess my summer just isn’t going to be working out how I think it’s supposed to. Oh well. At least I’ll have a huge chunk of cash at the end of it all.

Comments are closed.