Parties, Parks, and Plans

Disclaimer: This post is from the archives, and may not represent the current views of the author. It also may not be at all interesting to read. Continue at your own peril!

Yesterday was pretty cool. It was a lot better than I had expected it to be, anyways. I slept in as late as I could, and then got up, hoping that someone would call me to do something with me. Since I worked Friday and today, I was hoping yesterday that someone would want to do something with me so I could actually do it and not have to say, “Sorry, I have to work.”

Lunch rolled around, and no one had phoned. By this time, I had remembered that Melissa and her friend Lisa had told me they were doing something with Jake and me. I figured that they would have phoned me up by that time, though. Eventually, around 2:00 PM, I decided I might as well call Melissa and at least see what was going on there, so if nothing was happening, I could do something else. We ended up talking for about an hour, mostly going back and forth about saying how bored we were and trying to come up with something to do. Jake got off work at 9:00 PM, so the plans that Melissa and Lisa had were basically off, at least until then. Anyways, she suggested that we phone people up and have them over at my house since no one ever comes to my house. I told her that there was a good reason for that – there was nothing to do at my house. The last time people were over, they stayed for about ten minutes and then left. Anyways, after about 45 minutes or so, I finally relented, since there really was absolutely nothing else to do. I went up and made sure it was alright with my parents to have people over. They said yes, and so I got to work trying to phone people up or talk to them on MSN. To make a long, boring story short, a bunch of people came over.

We sat around for a little bit doing nothing except talking, and during that time Kristin and Melissa went upstairs to talk to my sister. I’m not quite sure why, but Melissa has some sort of obsession with wanting to meet my sister – she says they’re going to be best friends or something. Whatever. Eventually the TV went on for a little while, and then Kristy went and got the movies that she had rented earlier. One of them was “Guess Who?”, which we were going to put on, except it was way too early for that. What happened instead was that we went down and got board games out, playing Mouse Trap and Clue for a while. Well, Mouse Trap wasn’t really a big hit, but Clue was pretty fun. Since it’s a maximum of 6 players, though, a few people went over to Duey’s Ice Cream instead. We finished up the game, and then they came back. The people that hadn’t gone were discussing what to do about food, and the people that went were discussing how they weren’t hungry anyways, since they just had ice cream. Eventually my mom came upstairs and heard the matter being discussed. She asked me if I wanted her to put a couple pizzas in the oven for us. I said that was fine, and she then told me that her and dad were going out for supper. I think they just wanted to be out of the house with all the teenagers in there testing their patience, but whatever. We watched Malcolm in the Middle and ate pizza, and a good time was had by all.

Since it was still pretty early to be putting on a movie, some people decided to head over to the park. As people went to the front door to put on their shoes, most of the girls decided to just stay there instead. So Dave, Jeff, Melissa, and I went to the park, and Angelie, Kristy, and Erica stayed in my house to keep it company while I was gone. We walked over to Banbury Heights Park, and were going to play Grounders or something, but it started raining a little bit. Dave told us about a tree fort he and a couple friends had made, though, so Jeff and I went to check it out. All the wood was loose and really unsafe, and as soon as we got up there it started raining harder. I got down quickly, and waited around as Jeff tried to pick the pieces of wood that weren’t loose so he could step on them. We went back and headed home. It wasn’t a very eventful time at the park, but that’s what you get for not checking the weather before going, I suppose.

We got home, and, having killed some time, we put on “Guess Who?”. I made some popcorn for everyone, because I’m just a nice guy like that. It was an alright movie, I suppose. I didn’t really like it all that much. I thought it was more of a comedy, but it turned out to be a romantic comedy, heavy on the romance and light on the comedy. It was funny at the beginning, and then slowly got less and less so. I probably wouldn’t watch it again – well, I wouldn’t pay for it, anyways. After the movie, Jeff called up Jake and he came over for a while. As we were waiting, though, someone had the great idea to go over to Duey’s Ice Cream yet again. I’m not sure why, but everyone went, so whatever. Angelie and Jeff ran there to burn off some energy I think, and the rest of us walked. Jeff and Dave found a bowling ball in the parking lot and started rolling it around and throwing it up in the air and stuff. As we were hanging around in the parking lot, I suddenly saw a black truck go by that looked like Jake’s. Kristy started running back to get his attention before he went into my empty house and decided to leave or something. I decided to run as well since I now had some energy to burn off. I ran up behind Kristy and freaked her out, then ran past her to my house. I caught up to Jake just as he was walking toward my door. Mission accomplished.

We stayed outside my house and waited for the rest of the slow-pokes to get back, then decided to go for a walk or whatever. We walked down my street and eventually got to Banbury Heights Park once again. Why we went there, I’m not sure. But we did. We walked in the wet grass for a while, going across the entire park to get to the swingsets. It was foggy out and looked really cool, though. It looked like something from a horror movie. Dave and Kristy went out into the fog and disappeared, then Jeff went after them. They eventually circled around and tried to scare us, but we saw them. The whole park thing was pretty pointless, though. All we did was stand around or swing and get bitten by mosquitos. Then we walked back. That was about it. We walked back to my house, and by this time Jake had learned that Angelie had Tim Tams at her house. Tim Tams are basically an Australian chocolate cookie that you use as a straw to suck up hot chocolate. You bite off both ends and then suck it up, then shove it into your mouth quickly as it melts. Apparently it’s really good. So Jake convinced people to go to Angelie’s house to try it out. I would have, except it would have been pretty pointless to leave my house, go with them to eat chocolate, and then have to get a ride back with someone, making that person go out of their way. Besides, I had to get up early the next day to play bass. So I decided to stay home, and people got into their cars and headed off.

That was pretty much the entire night. I could have gone into much more detail I suppose, but I think a general summary is sufficient in this case. The important thing to note is really that people actually came to my house, had fun, and then left happy. It was a strange occurrence. Most times, people come to my house bored, and then leave bored. I think this group of people is different, though. The people that I’ve gotten to know from Central have come really close together this summer. It’s pretty cool to see that happen, and even better, to be a part of it myself. I’m so glad that I decided that one day to go to Central’s youth group. It was more something that I decided to do on a whim. Angelie, Melissa, and Kristy had all tried to get me to go before, but I had said no. And then one day I just decided I might as well give it a shot and see if I liked it. Going one time led to going one time more, and I decided quite quickly that I rather enjoyed it there. The people there were friendly. They were also godly – perhaps not godly in the sense that they very rarely sinned, but godly in the sense that they at least were trying to get to that point. I really just fit right in like a puzzle piece as soon as I started coming, and I’ve never regretted the decision to come – even if I may have had my doubts at first.

With that said, I really think that this summer has been great. I haven’t enjoyed it all, but on the whole, it’s been amazing. I’ve learned a whole lot about myself, about God, and also about others. I’ve learned what my strengths and weaknesses are, and how to effectively deal with them. About God, I learned to trust in His will and completely rely on Him for everything that I need. And about others, I’ve learned what I’m looking for in the friends that I let influence me, and also what it means to be part of a healthy group of people that can grow together. I used to think that I could do things by myself – my faith was individual, in other words. Now I realize just how important it is to be part of a group that shares the same faith. Christianity is both personal and plural; although ultimately it’s up to each individual to grow in their relationship with God, we also have the responsibility to grow as a group of Christians and to encourage each other, building each other up in the truth we have in Christ.

So, I guess you could say that this summer has been a real learning experience for me. I feel like I’m saying this way too much, to the point of putting these people on a pedestal or something, but I really like this group of friends that God’s brought to me over the past few months. I mean, I know they’re certainly not perfect, but when you used to feel like you didn’t belong much of anywhere, having a group of friends that has even remotely the same goals as yourself is a big step in the right direction. I love each and every one of the people in the Central youth group that I’ve come to know over the past few months, and I keep them in my prayers. As for those in my own youth group at my own church, I’ve also chosen not to give up on them, either. With Angelie’s suggestion, I’ve gone ahead and taken another step with setting up a Bible study. I talked to Pastor Al today about it, and he’s going to check to see when the church is available – if it’s not, that’s not too much of a problem; I’ll just have to figure something out to have it in my home or something. But having it at the church would be the best option, I think. Anyways, it turns out that my dad has read the book that I planned to check out, Wild at Heart. He had a Bible study on the same book, and he said it was really good. So that’s always a positive motivation – he had a copy of the book, so I checked it out this afternoon. It looks really great. It looks like God is pulling everything together for me, so we’ll see where it goes from here. But I think that’s everything for today, so I’ll end off this entry right here. All I can say is that good things are in store for my future and the future of those who love God. After all, He promised it to us.

Comments are closed.