Power Outages and Moose Attacks

Disclaimer: This post is from the archives, and may not represent the current views of the author. It also may not be at all interesting to read. Continue at your own peril!

Welcome to another Friday morning! I’ll likely blog again after school today, but I just had to write this down. Last night I worked from 5-9, and at about 8:30, the power decided to go out. Uh-oh. Apparently there was a car accident somewhere near Powerline and Balmoral, and a hydro pole was knocked down, so a whole bunch of the North end didn’t have power – including the plaza that we were in.

Fortunately, it wasn’t too bad. There were no customers in the store at the time, and we were able to lock the doors before any came in. It was Kim, Kyle, and myself working, and we were a little unsure about what to do with the food. After all, the fridges weren’t working, and food might go bad during the night. So we called Paul (the boss) and asked him what to do. He just told us to wrap up all the bread and close down the store – easier said than done in the dark – and to try and keep the fridges closed as much as possible. Now, I must thank government regulations about emergency lighting, because it meant that most of the store was still lit up partially at least. We were able to start putting everything away without too much difficulty. It was only difficult when Kyle had to use the washroom and there was no light. We had to give him the flashlight.

The thing that I really found creepy was the silence. Normally when you come into the store, there’s the hum of the oven and the fridges, the buzz of the fluorescent lights, and so on, but now there was nothing. It was kind of strange to be able to stop and not hear anything – except, of course, for Kyle trying to scare Kim, or the stupid kids that started running back and forth outside and banging on our door.

Anyways, the power was back on in under an hour, but we kept closing the store anyway. I was grateful that I could count the cash without a flashlight. Basically what I did was I stayed to help them close down, even though I wasn’t supposed to close last night. I only got out about 10 minutes later than I was scheduled, and Kim and Kyle would probably have gotten out about half an hour earlier than scheduled. That’s a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

So anyways, that was my night. It was interesting, although I would have liked to see those zombies or giant moose that Kyle and I were talking about. I mean, when those moose see a power outage, it’s their time to strike. They come down in the hundreds and just take over the town, I tell ya.

But enough of that. I must be off to yet another exciting day of school. Blech.

Comments are closed.